Monday, April 14, 2008

Doing Great...

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone is doing well! Reagan is progressing and healing quickly and we are very grateful for her progress! God is really taking great care of her and of us and we owe all the praise to Him! The last few days, she has really perked up and seems to be getting healthier every day. The Doctors are considering taking her off of the ventilator again late this week and I believe that she will do well without it! Her settings are fairly low now and she seems to be getting stronger each day! Thank you God! I am very thankful for this experience over all as the Lord has really worked in the life of our little family, as well as scores of other people. He has been so good to us throughout this process thus far and I have great faith that He will continue to help us over the next few months and continually throughout the years to come. I'm not sure how one would cope with circumstances such as these without God to help them through. As I was walking down the hall of the hospital with Amy the other night, there were two ladies, one standing on each side of the hallway, talking. Right as we passed between them, one of the ladies looked at the other and said something like "I am so glad that I know Jesus." I immediately looked at her, said "me too" with a big smile, and continued walking down the hall. No more needed to be said as we both had a big grin on our face and knew exactly what the other one was going through, without any specifics. I am thankful today that I do know Jesus and that He listens to our prayers and cares about us. He has been closer than ever in my life and I love Him today for His provision not only for Reagan, but for His provision for my life so that I can spend eternity with Him. I'd like to share a story with you about one of our experiences with God during this process and hope that it will deepen your faith in Him as it did ours....

Two weeks ago today, Reagan was doing great. She was eating well, breathing incredibly well, and seemed to be developing stronger and stronger with each day. We had experienced many emotions throughout this process as every day seemed to bring us different news of her condition. It seemed like each time that she started doing well, something came along to slow her progress. Many people have described it as 2 steps forward and 1 back. That is the way it felt. Well, this time was no different. We walked in one day and Reagan was doing awesome. The very next day, she seemed very, very tired and was found to have two infections in her body. Just when it seemed like she was making a turn for better, her condition worsened. As we looked through the glass of her isolet during these days, spunky little Reagan suddenly had only enough energy to lift her pointer finger. Now I don't know why God allows sickness and seemingly bad things to happen sometimes, but I do know that He was faithful to either help the situation, or to help us have the grace and patience to deal with our circumstances. By Tuesday night, Amy and I were both worn out and needed a touch from God. As we laid in bed that night praying, I recalled my morning devotions that I had with a couple of good friends. During our prayer time that morning we prayed specifically about things that were going on in our lives and in our businesses. We decided that during our prayer time that evening, we were going to pray specifically for two of Reagan's needs...

Reagan had been struggling with her CO2 output and her levels were in the 80's during the day, so we prayed that God would help her levels to get back down below 67by the next morning. When we called that morning, her CO2 levels were around 53 if I remember correctly. We were quite thrilled!

The other problem that Reagan was having was her urine output. It seemed that she was getting quite bloated from fluid buildup and we knew that she really needed to urinate! As we were praying, I asked Amy if Reagan could pee 4 cc's. (We are all friends here and ya'll know that I did not ask Amy if Reagan could urinate 4 cc's....so let's just call it pee!) Amy said that she could easily do that so I increased it to 10 to give a specific number to God. So, we prayed for 10 cc's or more of pee by the next morning. We just needed to know that God was with us during this process and that He was hearing our prayers. You can deal with a lot of things in your life when you know that God is with you! After praying, we slept! The next morning, we found out that Reagan had several diapers with minimal amounts of pee during the night. But...around 9am we received a phone call that she had a diaper that had not 5cc's, not 6,7,8, or 9 cc's, but, yep, you guessed it 10 cc's of pee! Now I do believe that coincidences happen at times, but this was no coincidence. As if that was not enough, later that afternoon, Reagan again had her diaper changed, and once again, it contained exactly 10 cc's of pee!!! We needed to know that God was with us and He showed us that He would be with us throughout the process. It was the calming hand of Almighty God saying to us... "Robert and Amy, I love you both and just want you to know that I do care about you and I care about Reagan. I am with you today, and will be tomorrow, and the day after that, and so on, until we meet together in Heaven where we will be together forever. I am watching over you and know exactly what is going on with you all every second of every day." At that moment in our lives, God gave us enough! What a pivotal moment! Not only did God answer our prayer, He answered us twice! I strongly feel that He wanted to remind us a second time later in the day that He was there.

Well, that's the story. God has His hands in the lives of our little family and He surely has His hands in your life as well! We don't know what tomorrow holds, but we do know He who holds tomorrow and that He will be with us! Thank you so much for praying for us! We are so grateful for people that care and are willing to pray. We love you all!

Prayer Requests:
1. Pray for continued healing for her body and no infections or other illness.
2. Pray for her lungs to be supernaturally strong by the time that they take her off of the ventilator.
3. Amy and I have several unspokens that we would like for you to pray about for us!

Robert, Amy, and Baby Reagan

P.S. DAD, Congratulations on making it through to April 15th!(for those of you that don't know, my dad is an income tax accountant)...Oh, shoot, I need to call him to file my extension, gotta go :)

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robert and Amy, your testimony is so encouraging and inspirational mostly because I have now watched you live it in the most painful of circumstances. I'm reminded of the phrase, "Our character is not revealed in the circumstances surrounding us but in our response to those circumstances." You both have remained steadfast in your faith in spite of your circumstances.
I'm reminded to pray for your family so frequently throughout the day, and God has used your circumstances and the presence of precious Reagan to draw me closer to Him through prayer. It seems that I so often forget that I have the ability to call on the all powerful Creator of the Universe anytime of day or night. I am now constantly reminded of this during my prayer for Reagan and her parents.
Robert, this account of your strengthening faith during this most difficult week reminded me of Isaiah 40:29--"...To those who have no might He increases strength." God takes the emotional pain of difficult circumstances and turns it into praises for His glory if we saturate our lives with prayer and faith believing that He will do great and mighty things which we know not.
Nehemiah 8:10--"...the joy of the Lord is our strength". What a strength we have in knowing that we can experience such deep peace that passess understanding and the joy of the Lord anytime, anywhere, and under any circumstances. He is showing Himself faithful to your family, and to so many people surrounding you every day.
Reagan's getting more cute everyday, and I can't wait for the day that I can hold her and "scrub her head" :-)
Much love,
Danelle

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for your little baby and thanks for sharing your story.

The Knipps said...

Wow. I have no words. I am so happy that God has been by your side and shown Himself to you. Wow.

Anonymous said...

Our God is an Awesome God!..:)

I am so glad that little Miss is doing so good...I have been praying for you guys and will continue to do so..

She is simply beautiful..an angel on earth..:)

Keep styaing strong and have faith!..
As you know..With God..ALL things are possible..:)

Dana

Anonymous said...

Again I read this blog and all the comments from others and stand in Awe of what a GREAT and POWERFUL God we serve. It is so encouraging to see God answer prayer and even the specific's like 10cc's. How AWESOME is that?? Reagan just grows cuter by the minute! Hang in there, we'll understand it better by and by. Love you ALL so MUCH!!!! XOXOXO
Nana
PS: Grow Reagan Grow!!!
PPS: Pee Reagan Pee!!!!

Valerie said...

Wow, it so so awesome to hear how God is answering prayers in this situation. I will continue to pray for Regan. So glad to hear she is making improvements!

You all are such an encouragement!

Love,
Valerie

Karen Parrish said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I love that God can use absolutely ANYTHING to show us that He loves us and is watching out for every detail. We continue to pray for you all and little Reagan!

Unknown said...

You Go GOD!!! So excited to share in this encouragement with you all. Still praying~
Carla

Dawn Riffell said...

We are just tickled to hear that Reagan is getting stronger and progressing. What a blessing this beautiful, tiny little girl is to all of us who have been praying for her. Thank you Robert and Amy for sharing your personal trials with us. We feel like we already know that sweet little pumpkin! We feel privileged to be able to pray for your family and we will continue to ask God to heal Reagan and give you what you need to get through it all.
Love,
Dawn and Mike Riffell

Anonymous said...

The Following Lyrics were sung in our Heath Church This past Sunday by our Praise team. They dedicated this song to Reagan and her parents. Read the words:

"My Hideaway"
The arms of God are open waiting
Everlasting, loving, saving
Underneath me when I fall, outstretched every time I call
The arms of God are always near
They hold me high above my fear
This is where I wanna stay, my hideaway

When I feel God's arms around me
Healing rest and peace surrounds me
My weakness only brings to light
The arms of God, such strength and might
The arms of God will always be, open waiting here for me
This is where I wanna stay, my hideaway

My hideaway (You are my rest)‏
My hideaway (You are my home)‏
My hideaway (Safe in Your arms)‏
You're my hideaway (My hideaway)‏

yourdivinity said...

God is doing so much for Baby Reagan and I have no doubt what so ever he will pull her through!!

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome testimony I am so happy to hear Reagan is doing well. Hang in there mom and dad your doing a great job of parenting already. We are praying for you all and so happy that share in the love of such a great and mighty God

The Goins

iva welton said...

So good to hear that Reagan is doing great. Praise God for answered prayer. Love you.
Weltons

KSUE said...

Dear Robert and Amy,
I did not know about your situation until I went in to get my taxes done last week. So, I've been catching up through your blog. Such amazing trials and tribulations! I'm sure the witnessing of this little miracle named Reagan has been extremely draining. It is so wonderful that you had your faith in God and could see first hand the power of prayer. We truly can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. Your precious little family is proof of that. May God continue to bless you and you will remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Much Love,

Karen Boulware

Anonymous said...

I love the story of how God has been so good in every way he's shown. I do believe that he comes through in every aspect in life as long as we believe and let him know we love him just as much as he loves each one of us. I'm really happy to hear of baby Reagan's progress too. We will continue to pray for you all and look forward to a good road ahead!! Also I loved the song that Danelle, Tom and Marilyn did Sunday...It was beautiful!! Love, Melissa and Serenity!!

Angie said...

Amy, just wanted to let you and Robert know that we are praying for little Reagan. I'm so happy to see the progress that she is making!! God can do ANYTHING that looks immposible!!

Anonymous said...

Robert and Amy, You are so encouraging to me, just to see how you are trusting God so completely and how he is working in your lives and the complete answers to prayer in the life of little Reagan. God be praised!
(Robert you have an excellent way with words! You should be a writer!)

Can't wait to get ahold of little Reagan!

Love & Prayers,
Edna Mae

Nina Rose said...

Robert & Amy,
You have no idea how that this experience has made me grow in Christ. I have learned to depend more on God, and that He truly is a prayer answering God. My faith has been strengthened, and I have been encouraged in my heart to see you all continue to believe God. I love you all dearly and want to just say a special thank you for demonstrating a Godly attitude at such a trying time in your life. I know that I have said this so much but it is so true that "Our God Is Faithful." I praise His name!!
Love,
Nina Rose

Nina Rose said...

Robert & Amy,
You have no idea how that this experience has made me grow in Christ. I have learned to depend more on God, and that He truly is a prayer answering God. My faith has been strengthened, and I have been encouraged in my heart to see you all continue to believe God. I love you all dearly and want to just say a special thank you for demonstrating a Godly attitude at such a trying time in your life. I know that I have said this so much but it is so true that "Our God Is Faithful." I praise His name!!
Love,
Nina Rose

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Maine...

The prayers from our whole church family are flowing up to heaven for your precious family! Our God is the God of miracles...and Reagan is one of them. Shannon & Ryan keep us updated.

Love, in Christ, Aunt Cathy