Thursday, May 15, 2008

10 week update

Dear Friends and Family,
It is hard to believe it has been ten weeks already. Reagan is 35 weeks corrected age today. She has come such a long way since March 4Th. God has been good to us and blessed us with a beautiful girl. We are so thankful for Reagan and the protective hand of God. I still don't know why bad things happen in our lives but I know I would not be the same person today without experiencing these difficulties. I have learned many lessons these past weeks about prayer, faith, and character. I hope I continue to live out these lessons I have learned and don't retreat to my old ways once the stress of the NICU is behind us. The most important lesson I have learned is that when you get to the bottom issue of whatever trials you experience you realize that you are not in control but God is. I am thankful for this reminder for when I feel "stressed out" I can sit back and say God this is in your hands. His hands is where it should be to begin with but our human nature makes us think we have to be in control when that is not the case. I am trusting God to protect Reagan and allow us to bring her home soon.
Reagan is continuing to do well, gaining weight and strength each day. She weighs 3 pounds 3 ounces today. She is doing well with her bottle three times a day. Before long she will take off and we can get rid of that irritating feeding tube!!! She is still on the wedge for reflux and taking prevacid; both seem to be helping. Reagan is also still on the nasal cannula but we have weaned her flow from 2 liters down to 600mls. She remains on 21% (room air) which is great. Reagan was moved to an open crib today and continues to maintain her own temperature. We are finally moving in the right direction. The main issue we face right now and ask for your prayers is with Reagan's eyes. Due to her prematurity Reagan runs a risk for blindness due to detached Retina. I won't go into all the details but on her last exam her eyes looked worse and they will recheck them again next Wednesday. If they continue to get worse we will have to transfer to another hospital once again for eye surgery. The surgery has great success but requires Reagan being put on the ventilator. This is just another set back we hope to avoid. Please pray that Reagan's eyes will improve and we can skip this surgery all together. Your prayers mean so much to us and I know God hears them. I don't believe we would be were we are today without prayer! I would also request your prayers. I have been sick since Monday and not able to visit Reagan. Please pray for a healing touch and protection around Reagan so she will not catch another infection. We love you guys and appreciate all your support.
Sincerely,
Amy, Robert and Reagan

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward everyday to seeing how little Reagan is doing. She is such a blessing to us all. When I am having a bad day I like to look at her pictures her smile always brightens my day. We will praying for her eyes and that you get to feeling better soon. Take care and give Reagan a hug for me.

Love
The Goins

SUNSHINE MOM said...

Praying for your family!

Pastor Dan said...

Hi Winslow 3!
I don't post much since I get to see you all day by day -- but since I've missed you the past few days when I was at the hosp, I just wanted to say a quick "hello" on your blog. I also wanted to thank you, Robert, for the 3 TREMENDOUS Mother's Day letters. (I thought, for once, I was gonna be able to read this blog without crying -- and was doing ok till I got to those letters)! Boy, there's NOTHIN' like FAMILY .. and particularly CHRISTIAN family! You 3 have done more to advance and promote Christian homes and families than we preachers could've done in several months of preaching! I love you all, and am VERY humbly grateful that I have the awesome privilege of being your pastor. (Can't WAIT to formally dedicate Miss Reagan!! That's gonna be SOME service!!)

Lots of love,
Pastor Dan

Judith and Lance said...

Just prayed for Reagan... Jesus -- we pray in your name right now that you will correct everything in that precious baby's eyes and she WILL NOT have any ill effect on her sight due to premature birth. Thank you for the healing you've already done and continue to do.
AMEN

Anonymous said...

Hey Rob and Amy,

Please know that we will continue to pray for all three of you. We will especially be praying for Reagan's eyes.

It has been an amazing experience watching you all go through this trial. I want to encourage you to continue to lean on the Lord.

As always if there is anything we can do to help please let us know.

David, Holly, Luke and Avery

Andrea said...

Hi, I am s local "stranger" who came upon your story through other local Moms. I am a Christian and I wanted to encourage you with this Psalm

"It is good that I have been afflicted so that I might learn your statutes."

We can look at the afflictions of Job, David and especially Jesus Christ to remind us that God "works all things together for good to those that love Him and are called according to His purpose." (Romans)


Romans 9 talks much about how God allows evil in order that His grace and mercy would be magnified and recognized among His children, so that we would praise Him!!

I don't know much about your sweet Baby Girl, but I do know that God formed her inward parts and that she is fearfully and wonderfully made. I am certain that her life will be a testimony of our Lord! Also, God has been healing all over the nation. In my tiny little Reformed church we have seen mighty healing miracles in the past year, although there has been much suffering as well.
Suffering teaches us obedience, and it keeps our hope fastened on the Eternal Almighty.

May He bless you and keep you this day!

Andrea R